0203 326 9160

0203 761 7026

0203 761 7027

0203 761 7029

0203 326 9160 0203 761 7026 0203 761 7027 0203 761 7029

Need help to understand your treatment?

If you find it difficult to understand your treatment or care needed or if you find it hard speak up, there are independent people who can act as a spokesperson for you.

They make sure you're heard and your wellbeing is protected: they are called advocates.

What is advocacy?

Advocacy in all its forms seeks to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, are able to:

  • Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
  • Defend and safeguard their rights
  • Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives

For example, they can help you:

  • understand the care and treatment process
  • talk about how you feel about your care
  • make decisions
  • challenge decisions about your care and treatment if you do not agree with them
  • stand up for your rights

They can write letters for you and attend meetings with you.

Advocates will support you during:

  • assessments
  • care and treatment planning

Advocates are independent of Clinical Partners.

How your local council can help

Your council has to provide an advocate if you do not have family or friends to help and you have difficulty:

  • understanding and remembering information
  • communicating your views
  • understanding the pros and cons of different options

A paid carer cannot act as an advocate for you.

How to get an advocate

Contact social services at your local council and ask about advocacy services. Find your local social services.

POhWER is a charity that helps people to be involved in decisions being made about their care. POhWER works in more than 100 local authority areas, across England, delivering the full range of statutory and non-statutory advocacy services. Call POhWER's support centre on 0300 456 2370 for advice.

SeAp Advocacy gives advocacy support. Their advocacy services can help you resolve issues or concerns and help you have a say in the way you, or someone you love, is cared for. Call 0330 440 9000 for advice or text SEAP to 80800 and someone will get back to you.

VoiceAbility gives advocacy support. Call 01223 555800 for advice or find the phone number for your local VoiceAbility service.

Contact the charity Age UK to see if they have advocates in your area. Contact Age UK online or call 0800 055 6112.

These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Clinical Partners of any services or opinions of the corporation or organisation listed. Clinical Partners bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.


Call us today: 0203 326 9160 0203 761 7026 0203 761 7027 0203 326 9160 0203 761 7026 0203 761 7027

In this section

No Internet Connection